Benchwood Station Improvements
Benchwood Station Plans Evolve
Plans for the rebranding and infrastructure improvements to Benchwood Station continue to evolve, as stakeholders weigh in through the township’s public involvement efforts.
Benchwood Station – informally known as Miller Lane - is an important revenue generator for the township, providing more than $2.5 million in revenue annually, through hotel tax, Joint Economic Development Zone (JED-Z) income tax and Tax Increment Financing (TIF) districts. These revenue sources provide funding for township services and improvements within the district.
The roadway improvements for Miller Lane were originally proposed in 2021, following a feasibility study, focusing on making Benchwood Station an even greater asset. Recently, township trustees met in a work session to discuss the results of stakeholder meetings and a survey the township conducted during the public input process. Based on this feedback received through public involvement efforts, the trustees have decided to move forward with a new, revised scope for improvements on Miller Lane and Benchwood Road. The township will continue moving forward, in 2023, with design of the following improvements:
- Lighting plans and lighting district implementation for the entire Miller Lane corridor
- Roundabout at Maxton and Miller for traffic calming and aesthetics
- Full depth pavement repair and resurfacing of existing pavement on Miller Lane, from Benchwood Road to Little York Road
- Improvements on westbound Benchwood Road for dedicated right turn lane on Commerce Center
- Consistent landscaping and streetscape enhancements along the entire corridor, including street trees, landscaping and hardscape
- Entryway/gateway signage at major intersections
The township recently approved a new agreement with the Montgomery County Transportation Improvement District to oversee the design and engineering for the revised Benchwood Station improvement project. It is anticipated that construction will begin in the first quarter of 2024.