BUTLER TOWNSHIP FIRE DEPARTMENT
The Butler Township Fire Department operates from two staffed fire stations with a combination of full-time and part-time personnel. The department provides fire suppression, emergency medical, rescue, fire prevention, and other services for the community. The department is committed to providing township residents with quality services and modern equipment.
The fire department of Butler Township was founded in 1895. The department consisted of a ladder truck that was a converted buggy with four homemade ladders and about 20 buckets. The department added a hand drawn chemical truck to the fleet in 1910.
Motorized apparatus began to be added to the fleet in 1941, the first being a four cylinder Dodge pumper which carried 300 gallons of water. Today the fire suppression fleet consists of three engines and one rescue.
Members became involved in the early EMS in 1948 through the Morton Whetstone Funeral home ambulance service. The Rescue Squad became part of the fire department in 1965 with the purchase of two Cadillac ambulances. Today’s EMS portion of the fleet consists of three Advanced Life Support (ALS)-equipped ambulances and two ALS equipped fire engines.